Wednesday, July 04, 2012

let freedom ring and dear boys 3 liberty style

The Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays.  I just love it, love it, love it.  I know at times there seems to be a lot to worry about concerning the future of our country, but the Fourth seems to be the one day that we can forget all of those worries and focus on the great freedoms that we do have because of our founding fathers no matter who is currently sitting in the oval office.  America will always be the land of the free and the home of the brave. 

Three Fourth of Julys ago I was in Virginia (two I was in North Carolina, last I was in Idaho and this one I'm in Utah  I've almost made it coast to coast!).  I wish I could say that I took the time to reflect on what it was like to be within the vicinity of land rich with history that founded this great country.  But I didn't.  I was selfish and worried that I wouldn't see fireworks.  It was one of my first days in Virginia as a full time missionary.  We had the whole day planned out and it was going to be perfect.  A local member graciously agreed to take us and a lady we were currently teaching about 30 minutes away to Norfolk (which is home to one of the largest military bases) so she could witness a baptism.  

The day started out at approximately 100 degrees F and 100% humidity.  It was so freaking hot and I was dripping buckets of sweat within minutes of stepping outside.  The day went on.  We couldn't get a hold of the member who was going to take us.  The lady we were teaching called us and told us not only did she not want to go to the baptism but she didn't want us to come by anymore.  Not at all.  

I don't even know what we ended up doing that day.  But I do remember wishing I was at home with my family and on my way to the cabin where we would spend the day boating, grilling and watching fireworks.  I just wanted to see some fireworks.  As we pulled into the apartment complex that evening to finally end our day, off in the distance I saw some fireworks and it was the perfect ending to a perfectly trying day.  

This year I will be celebrating the 4th Salt Lake style by doing the most American thing possible.  Eating meat and watching fireworks.  

Also.
Elise, over at Elise's Pieces had FOUR new little images today to go along with her dear boys series and I couldn't pick just one.  So I fashioned up a little image and decided to use all four (Elise--I hope that's OK.  I put the source underneath.  If it's not, let me know and I will gladly take it down)


Dear America,
Thank you for being all cool and free.  I'm sorry people are freaking out about who your next leader will be.  But that's never going to change.

Dear Virginia,
Thank you for teaching me the importance and value of the military and all of our honorable service men and women.

Dear every military person ever and all of their family,
Thank you for all of your sacrifices that protect our freedoms.

Dear quiet boy,
We'll both be seeing fireworks tonight.  Too bad they're actual fireworks...

Dear past boy,
I hope you enjoy your 4th in DC.  I'm slightly jealous.  



1 comment:

  1. Totally don't have to take it down, that's perfect! I'm glad you loved all four. :) And I died over quiet boy. I hope you guys see real fireworks soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...