Sunday, December 07, 2008

i have a love/hate relationship with my car. mostly hate.

My parents were gracious enough to let me and my sister take our car to school this year, after much persuasion. We drove our dinky little Mercury Tracer the some 1200 miles out to Idaho.  I was thrilled to finally have my own car at school.  I would no longer have to ask for rides, go to the grocery store whenever my roommates were, and feel guilty for always bumming rides.  I was anxiously looking forward to the freedom it was sure to bring.

It was great for the first few weeks, until it died.  I figured it wasn't that big of a deal, cars die every now and then.  Maybe I left the lights on overnight.  I got it jumped.  And it died again, a week later.  You think I would have learned my lesson, but I didn't.  I just kept jumping it, and it kept dying a week or so later.  The worst two times was when it died at a gas station and when it died at Wal Mart.

My sister and I were finally able to work out our schedules with one of my roommates to drop off the car, get it fixed, and pick it up.

I was so glad to finally have a working car.  My sister and I drove it quite a bit the next few days.  It was nice having a car again.

Then a few days later my roommate came in the house and said that my tires were looking a little low.  Especially the front one on the drivers side.  I went and filled it up (by the way, only one gas station in Rexburg doesn't CHARGE for air.  Chevron, in case you're curious.  Everywhere else charges 25 or 50 cents!  Tell me that's not the most ubsurd thing you have EVER heard.  I refused to pay for air, and drove to every gas station until I found one that didn't charge).  So I filled them up, we went and got dinner, and everything seemed hunky dory.

Enter the next day.  Saturday.  I had to go to Wal Mart.  I drove about two blocks and I noticed a really weird and loud thumping noise.  I couldn't tell where it was coming from.  I pulled over.  Got out.  And saw a flat tire.  It's possible I swore.  I don't really remember.  I was definitely annoyed.

So now, during the busiest weekend and week of the semester, I somehow have to fit in the time to call triple A, have them put on the spare (my sister claims she knows how, but my mom said that driving on a car that Katie has installed the spare on is like walking on a tight rope that Katie set up.  Not a good idea, and death will probably follow), drive to Sam's Club in IF because they'll fix it for free.  And it has to be tomorrow because Katie has to go to IF tomorrow for her second round of rabies shots.  

At least my huge a project for my PR class is due tomorrow, so I won't have that to worry about not working on, since most of my night, if not all, will be dedicated to going to IF tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...